Maple Soft 4/4 Project Pack: 20 Board Feet of Lumber
Why Choose Soft Maple?Resembles Hard Maple being closed-grained but much softer. Easily worked. Turns and planes well. Does not require fillers to achieve a glass smooth finish. Accepts finish and paint well
What's in the Pack?
- 4 to 7 boards
- Assorted widths 4" to 10"
- Assorted lengths 48" to 84"
What Size Is This?
|Thickness||4/4, S2S is 13/16" thick|
|Width||4" to 10" random|
|Length*||48" to 84" random|
|Grade||Select & Better (info)|
Here's what you can expect:
Also known as 4/4, S2S.
Surfaced 2 sides (S2S) to 13/16" actual thickness. May still require you to flatten, plane, shape or sand your project parts to fit your project.
Learn more in our blog: "What Does 4/4 Mean in Lumber?"
This is the range of widths that are usually available in this pack.
Lengths will vary within this range.
About Soft Maple (Acer rubrum)
2.63lbs /Bd. Ft.
Ease of Finishing
Soft Maple is a domestic wood from North America
Resembles Hard Maple being closed-grained but much softer. Easily worked. Turns and planes well. Does not require fillers to achieve a glass smooth finish. Accepts finish and paint well
Cream white to reddish brown.
A popular, fast growing decorative tree. Matures to about 60-90 feet in height and 30" in diameter.
Carolina red maple, Drummond red maple, Maple, Red maple, Scarlet maple, Soft maple, Swamp maple, Water maple
Furniture, cabinets, a good general purpose hardwood
You have a lot of ways to buy this wood!
You will cut and/or glue to create the sizes you need
We buy rough sawn lumber and have it surfaced 2 sides (S2S) so you're ready to work
We stock kiln dried lumber and store it in a protected warehouse
Unless stated otherwise, we stock Select & Better graded lumber that's at least 83% clear one side
- Decide how much board footage you need
- Factor in enough to work with! You'll want to arrange grain patterns, sort color, fix mistakes, run test cuts, make finish samples, etc.
- Lumber comes in random widths and lengths. If you need special size considerations, please let us know by using the "Minimum Size Request" box in the order form or by confirming your needs by phone or email.
- Expect your final amount of footage to change slightly. Buying by the board foot is an exercise in estimation, therefore we don't know the precise amount of footage you'll receive (and be billed for) until we physically select the wood for your order.
- We want to get your order right! So we may need to contact you for clarification. Please use a good phone and email during checkout.
It's a fraction that refers to rough (RGH) sawn thickness of lumber, and it tells you approximately how many quarters of an inch make up the thickness.
Surfaced lumber is thinner because it started out as rough sawn but it's been planed smooth. Planing removes thickness.
|Rough Sawn (RGH)||Surfaced (S2S)|
Unless otherwise specified, our lumber is "Surfaced 2 Sides" or S2S for short.
Check out our blog for the full explanation.Lumber Compared
Various lumber thickness as compared to one another
If you can cut your own pieces to size, here's how we can help:
- Enter requirements into the order form where it says, "Minimum Size Request"
- Tell us what you want to acheive or make
- You will receive wood that can yeild what you need. (You will create the final size)
- We may need to contact you for clarification
You will cut and/or join your material to create the finished sizes you need. We'll pick out wood that will give you enough to do that. For this reason, the final amount of footage you receive in your order will be slightly different, and your final billed charge will be different.
If you want to only buy pieces of an exact size, that will be sold differently. Please contact us for a custom quote.
Hardwood grades explained
Customer Ratings & Reviews
Woodworkers Source Responds
We're not too rigid, Bill. If the advertised lengths aren't satisfactory, then just give us a call or an email and tell us what you need. We can generally accommodate anything as long as we know what you need. For the record, we advertise these Project Packs to have lumber of any length between 4' and 8'. As we all know, lumber grows on trees and sometimes we have to cut longer boards to get rid of defects and/or to make a package a suitable length for shipping. In the end, if you let us know what you need, we're happy to see if the lumber we have on hand will do the job or not and work it out for you.
Understanding hardwood lumber starts right here with these wacky fractions.
If you're expecting perfect clear lumber 100% of the time, you're in for a surprise. Here's a summary of the hardwood lumber grades and what to expect from them.
Board feet isn't your everyday kind of math, but these three simple steps make it easy to figure out your project.
Here's a handy (and free) Excel worksheet that helps you estimate the lumber needs for your project.
Are woods poisonous? Hazardous to use in cutting boards or baby cribs? Find out here.
Wood is like a sponge, and it's always in a state of absorbing or releasing moisture to stay equalized with its environment. The problem with that is it also swells and shrinks. Here's what you need to know to protect your project.