Ipe 4/4 Project Pack: 20 Board Feet of Lumber
Why Choose Ipe?This is one strong, tough, and resilient wood. Ipe's naturally durable and weather resistant so it's fantastic in outdoor projects. Moderately difficult to work especially with hand tools; has a blunting effect on cutting edges, however Ipe finishes smoothly except where grain is very roey. The rich dark color makes great accents.
What's in the Pack?
- 4 to 7 boards
- Assorted widths 4" to 10"
- Assorted lengths 4' to 7'
|Thickness||4/4, S2S is 13/16" thick|
|Width||4" to 10" random|
|Length*||4' to 7' possible|
|Grade||Select & Better (info)|
|3+||$360.90 /Pack (10% off)|
About Lumber Sizes
Lumber packs come with an assortment of widths and lengths.
Here's what you can expect in Ipe
Also known as 4/4, S2S.
Surfaced 2 sides (S2S) to 13/16" actual thickness. May still require you to flatten, plane, shape or sand your project parts to fit your project.
Learn more in our blog: "What Does 4/4 Mean in Lumber?"
This is the range of widths that are usually available in this pack.
Lengths will vary within this range.
About Ipe (Tabebuia spp)View All Ipe Products
5.75lbs /Bd. Ft.
Ease of Finishing
Ipe is an exotic wood from Latin America
This is one strong, tough, and resilient wood. Ipe's naturally durable and weather resistant so it's fantastic in outdoor projects. Moderately difficult to work especially with hand tools; has a blunting effect on cutting edges, however Ipe finishes smoothly except where grain is very roey. The rich dark color makes great accents.
Light to dark olive brown with greenish caste, often with lighter or darker streaks.
May grow to 140-150 feet in height with trunk diameters of 72" and frequently to heights of 100 feet and diameters of 24-36". Boles are clear to 60 feet and more, with or without buttresses.
Amapa prieta, Bastard lignum vitae, Bethabara, Canaguate, Cortez, Ebano verde, Ebene vert, Greenhart, Guayacan, Ipe, Ironwood, Lapacho, Lapacho negro, Pau d'Arco, Polvillo, Tajibo
Furniture, flooring, industrial uses, tool handles, exterior applications, decking, inlay, furniture parts.
Lumber 101: What to Know About Hardwood Lumber
You will cut and/or glue to create the sizes you need
We buy rough sawn lumber and have it surfaced 2 sides (S2S) so you're ready to work
We stock kiln dried lumber and store it in a protected warehouse
Unless stated otherwise, we stock Select & Better graded lumber that's at least 83% clear one side
- Decide how much board footage you need
- Factor in enough to work with! You'll want to arrange grain patterns, sort color, fix mistakes, run test cuts, make finish samples, etc.
- Lumber comes in random widths and lengths. If you need special size considerations, please let us know by using the "Minimum Size Request" box in the order form or by confirming your needs by phone or email.
- Expect your final amount of footage to change slightly. Buying by the board foot is an exercise in estimation, therefore we don't know the precise amount of footage you'll receive (and be billed for) until we physically select the wood for your order.
- We want to get your order right! So we may need to contact you for clarification. Please use a good phone and email during checkout.
It's a fraction that refers to rough (RGH) sawn thickness of lumber, and it tells you approximately how many quarters of an inch make up the thickness.
Surfaced lumber is thinner because it started out as rough sawn but it's been planed smooth. Planing removes thickness.
|Rough Sawn (RGH)||Surfaced (S2S)|
Unless otherwise specified, our lumber is "Surfaced 2 Sides" or S2S for short.
Check out our blog for the full explanation.Lumber Compared
Various lumber thickness as compared to one another
If you can cut your own pieces to size, here's how we can help:
- Enter requirements into the order form where it says, "Minimum Size Request"
- Tell us what you want to acheive or make
- You will receive wood that can yeild what you need. (You will create the final size)
- We may need to contact you for clarification
You will cut and/or join your material to create the finished sizes you need. We'll pick out wood that will give you enough to do that. For this reason, the final amount of footage you receive in your order will be slightly different, and your final billed charge will be different.
If you want to only buy pieces of an exact size, that will be sold differently. Please contact us for a custom quote.
Hardwood grades explained
Customer Ratings & Reviews
Understanding hardwood lumber starts right here with these wacky fractions.
If you're expecting perfect clear lumber 100% of the time, you're in for a surprise. Here's a summary of the hardwood lumber grades and what to expect from them.
Board feet isn't your everyday kind of math, but these three simple steps make it easy to figure out your project.
Here's a handy (and free) Excel worksheet that helps you estimate the lumber needs for your project.
Are woods poisonous? Hazardous to use in cutting boards or baby cribs? Find out here.
Wood is like a sponge, and it's always in a state of absorbing or releasing moisture to stay equalized with its environment. The problem with that is it also swells and shrinks. Here's what you need to know to protect your project.