Aromatic Cedar » Juniperus virginiana
Aromatic Cedar Characteristics
Aromatic Cedar Wood CharacteristicsSoft, straight-grained with a fine, even texture. Very knotty with distinctive cedar aroma. Soft, easy to work but knots may present some difficulties. Easy to finish.
Color RangeLight red with streaks of creamy white.
Other NamesEastern red cedar, Juniper, Red juniper, Red cedar, Virginia pencil cedar
Some Typical UsesLinen and blanket chests, pencils, boxes. Carves and whittles nicely.
What's the Tree Like?Reaches a height of 40-60 feet with a buttress trunk which may often be angled with a diameter up to 24''. The Aromatic Cedar tree grows in Eastern USA and Southern Canada.
2.75lbs /Bd. Ft.
900Janka Rating (?)
0.47Specific Gravity (?)
Woodworking with Aromatic Cedar:
Ease of Finishing
Free Shipping (48 U.S.)
- Width: Ripped to 3''
Flat Rate U.S. Shipping!
- Width: 4''-10'' variety with rough edges. Straight line ripping on one edge is available as well (see above).
- Quantity: Project Packs contain 20 board feet (or slightly more), which tends to be approximately 4 to 7 boards depending on the size
- Width: 24'' wide, typically 4 to 6 individual slices are laminated along the edges to create the full width.
- Quantity: One sheet has 16 square feet
- Width: 48'' wide, typically 8 to 12 individual slices are laminated along the edges to create the full width.
- Quantity: One sheet has 32 square feet