This tropical beauty shows off a hazel-cocoa brown color with sweeps and swirls of dark chocolate brown. Monkey pod rivals the beauty of Hawaiian koa but comes at a fraction of the price. This wood is somewhat lighter in weight than walnut, and durable enough for tables, jewelry boxes, musical instruments, countertops, and cutting boards.
Monkey pod takes any kind of finish, but looks exceptionally better with an oil (Danish oil, tung oil linseed oil, etc) and protected with a top coat of lacquer or polyurethane. Monkey pod is a coarse-grained wood, so if you want a glass-smooth finish, apply a wood grain filler such as Old Master's Woodgrain Filler and tint the filler with a walnut-colored (or any dark color) oil stain. Sand it smooth, reapply if you need more filling, and then apply your top coat of choice (lacquer, varnish or shellac).
Sizes you can expect:
13/16'' thick, surfaced smooth two sides (4/4 S2S)
4''-10'' with the edges still rough. Straight line ripping on one edge is available as well (available above with your order).
Up to 8'. Longer lengths may be available for local pick up or truck freight shipment. Contact us to verify.
[+] What if I need specific sizes?
You'll have to cut your own pieces to size. Hardwood lumber is sold as a bulk raw product, which means that our stacks of lumber have a big variety of sizes most often from 4" up to 12" wide, and 6' to 16' long.
- Only some unusual exotic woods are narrower than 4" and under 6' long. This is clearly stated when that's the case, everything else is larger.
- We always ship the longest boards possible, and rarely ship boards less than 48" long unless you request shorter. The longest we can ship by UPS is 96" (that's 8').
For general fine woodworking, the various widths and lengths meet the needs and desires of woodworkers building furniture, cabinetry, and fine woodwork. But we do understand that certain projects have some requirements, and we're happy to help you out.
Here's how we can help you get the sizes you need:
- We can hand-select material that will yield what you need. Type your needs into the "Selection Request" field right above the Add to Cart button above when you place your order. 4 things to know about size requests
- We can do some limited custom milling such as planing to a different thickness and straight-line ripping one edge. Please call or email to talk about your needs.
Other Good things To Know
- Grade: Select & Better. See our page about Hardwood Grading for some details about common lumber grades and their definitions.
- Extra Discount: 25% off for 100+
Lumber Thickness Compared:
The thickness of hardwood lumber is expressed as a fraction. Here are the various lumber thicknesses compared to one another.
Try a Woodworking Project Plan from WOOD Magazine®These links open in a new window for WOOD Magazine®'s project plans website