Lidded box by Mark Doolittle
Register Now - Limited Space
Project Deadline: Saturday Mar 14, 2015
Spaces Available: 55 out of 100 left
Project Theme: Lidded Box
Project Deadline: March 14, 2015
You’ll Get $50: Every completed project receives a $50 store credit
Prizes: Win a Tormek T-4 Wet Sharpener ($429 value) or other woodworking tool packages valued up to $300
For this contest, build a small decorative box, no larger than 16″ in width, length or height. To qualify, your box must have a lid, and the lid can be of any style you can dream up. It can have a hinge . . . or no hinge. Or it could be a sliding lid or a fitted lid. Get creative and use any decorative techniques you’d like to make your box stand out: consider inlay, marquetry, carving, sculpting, book matching, figured woods etc. Since all projects must have a lid, do something spectacular with it.
Your box can be any shape or style, leaving you a lot of room for interpretation. It doesn’t have to be a straight-sided box – lathe-turned hollow forms with lids are welcome as well. Run with it. But remember, this is a woodworking contest. You are welcome to include materials other than wood in your project, however your primary goal should be to demonstrate your skills with wood more than, say, stone or metal.
Space is limited to 100 entries. Register now. Even if you’re not 100% certain you can complete your project by the deadline, please register and do not delay. This helps us plan for the reception and the space required to display the projects. It’s better for you to be registered and drop out of the contest if needed than it is for you to wait until it’s too late.
Complete Your Project, Get $50 Store Credit:
All entries receive $50 store credit on March 14 upon project delivery. Yes, you keep your project and we give you $50. However, we keep the projects for one week while the panel of judges inspect each project to determine the winners.
Plus you get a chance to win prizes from great woodworking vendors.
Prizes and Awards Ceremony
We’ll host an awards ceremony at Practical Art, a gallery in downtown Phoenix (date TBA). Prizes will be awarded for the top 3 entries, plus various honorable mention awards.
- First Place: Tormek T-4 Wet Sharpener
- Second Place: $300 package of woodworking tools
- Third Place: $100 package of woodworking tools
- Honorable mentions: Various woodworking tools/supplies
Rules and Guidelines
How to Submit Your Project
- Register for the contest using the form at the top of the page. Free entry.
- Deliver your project on March 14, 2015 to any Woodworkers Source location. We will take care of transporting projects to be displayed at Practical Art (downtown Phoenix)
- Pick up your project on a date TBD. If you’re in the Tucson area, you can simply deliver and pick up your project at our Tucson store. We’ll arrange transport to and from Phoenix for the judging and public display. Entries must be made in person. We won’t be able to accommodate crating and shipping individual projects that are shipped in from other parts of the country for this contest.
- Your project is yours to keep after the contest.
- Your box must have a lid. Since this is a contest, considering making the lid a spectacular one
- Make it no larger than 16″ in width, length or height; smaller is okay
Materials to Use
You do not need to buy your wood from Woodworkers Source in order to enter the contest. Wood is the focus of this project and you may use any wood you’d like, and we encourage you to use something unusual or special. Incorporate other materials if you want, but this is a woodworking contest so your project should emphasize wood.
Does the Project Have to Be New?
We prefer that you enter a project you build specifically for this contest, but that’s not a hard and fast rule. So, if you want to enter a project you have already built, take a close look at it and determine if it needs to be refinished, waxed or polished. If it’s scratched or faded from time and use, do what it takes to refresh it so that it makes the best impression – this is, after all, a contest.
A winning entry will have a fabulous finish. You can use any finishing process; you can use stains, dyes, glazes or any clear wood finish you want. We encourage you give your project the best impression with a well-done finish. Start your project sooner rather than later to allow yourself plenty of time to get a good finish. It takes time for finishing and staining products to dry between coats, and it takes time to polish your finish to your desired sheen, so give yourself time to do it well.